Office of Global Affairs



How do I apply to CMU?

You can find all the information with regards to application on CMU website – Admission section (middle of the top bar). Under Admission, please first go to How to apply where you can learn about the application procedure and the documents required. Applicants can either apply online, by email or by post once all the documents required are ready to be sent.


How do I apply for Taiwanese Resident Visa?

After you have been accepted to study at CMU but before you travel to CMU, please make sure to first apply a Taiwanese Resident Visa at Taiwanese Embassies or Representative Office in your local regions. Please be aware that Admission Letter is not considered a guaranteed entry to Taiwan.

After arriving here in Taiwan, international students will then need to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) within 15 days from the day of arrival. ARC will later serve as your residency permit or ID for the period of the granted leave to remain. Detailed Visa Application Guidelines can also be found in your International Student Handbook. You are also strongly advised to check the websites of Ministry of Education (MOE) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) regarding your obligations and status when studying in Taiwan.


How do I apply for Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)?

When to apply
Apply within 15 days from the day you arrived
What you will need to apply
  1. Fee: NTD 1,000
  2. Download the form below and fill it in as required
  3. Documents:
    - Passport Photos
    - Accommodation lease or contract
    - Both Originals and Photocopies: Passport,  Resident Visa, Student ID and Attendance Letter
Where to apply
Nearby Branch: Taichung Branch, National Immigration Agency Contact infos:
1F No.91, Gancheng St., Nantun Dist.
Taichung City, Taiwan R.O.C.
Office Hour: 8am-5pm, Mondays to Fridays
TEL: +886-4-22549981


How do I get a work permit?

For any international student wishes to work in Taiwan during their legal stay, he or she will need to obtain a work permit before they can start any work. Please NOTE that students will be fined if conducting any work without applying for a work permit. To apply for the work permit, please have all the required documents ready to apply with Workforce Development Agency (WDA). CMU will also actively assists all international students to apply work permit every half a year. Please also be aware that international students are permitted to work legally for no more than 20 hours per week during the terms. For more detail or assistance, please refer to International Student Handbook or WDA website.


How do I find a part time job?

For part-time jobs vacancies at CMU, please check CMU website for any open positions. For other general vacancies, there are also a number of job hunting sites where you can make good use of such as 104, 1111, yes 123, etc. Please do make sure you have legal document to prove your rights to work within the work hours limit given. 

How do I find housing?

Dormitory facilities are located in both Taichung and Beikang campuses here at CMU with limited availability. Private Housing is, however, another option with more flexibility to cater for different needs.  You can speak to Military Education Instructor to seek for guidance or assistance regarding accommodation. Alternatively, you can contact Office of International and Public Affairs for more information which our staff will be more than happy to assist you with.


How do I open a bank account?

For any student under the age of 20, CMU will assist students with opening bank account with Hua Nan Commercial Bank. Students may be asked to provide a letter of consent with signature from their legal guardian or representative for CMU to do so.

For students of the age of 20 or more, they will be allowed to open bank accounts with any banks in Taiwan on their own. Taiwanese law will need to be abided by when defined a legal 20-year-old if one is recognized differently from his/her birth country.


How do I apply for scholarship?

  1. For Taiwan Scholarships provided by both Ministry of Education (MOE) and Ministry of Foreign Affair (MOFA), applicants will need to apply with Taiwan’s embassies or representatives at their birth country BEFORE or DURING their application process with CMU or any other institutes.
  2. For CMU scholarships available for Undergraduate Students, please use this search engine provided by Extracurricular Activities Section, Student Affairs to check for the most up-to-date information.
  3. For CMU scholarships available for Graduate Students, please refer to this website and make sure to check with Office of Graduate Affairs for most up-to-date information.


How do I join a student group?

As a CMU student, you are encouraged to join any student government or clubs of your interests. It is also possible to join one or more of these student associations. During the induction week, you will be able to find out what clubs are available and how to join.